SparKits On Demand
Make A Puzzle
What You'll Need
Colored paper, foam sheets or felt
Cookie cutters or shaped items around the home
Markers or crayons
- For this activity you need a piece of cardboard as this will be the base of your puzzle.
- Trace your cookie cutters or objects on your cardboard base.
- Take the same cutters/objects and trace them on your paper. Be sure to trace them the same way you traced them on your cardboard base.
- Give your child the puzzle pieces and have them match the shape to the shape on the base.
Curious about your child’s development? All children develop at their own pace, but the Center for Disease Control’s developmental milestones can be a helpful guideline. Here are a few examples:
- Shows fear in some situations
- Puts things in a container, takes things out of a container
- Looks at the right picture or thing when it’s named
- Explores alone but with parent close by
- Can follow 1-step verbal commands without any gestures
- Drinks from a cup
- Shows more and more independence
- Knows names of familiar people and body parts
- Might use one hand more than the other
Additional family resources
Early Learning with ECA
Learning begins at birth. ECA provides foundations for learning, starting with age-appropriate experiences for infants, toddlers, and preschool. ECA also offers a range of family support programs that encourage family involvement with children’s learning.
Free tips and learning games
This free texting service provides quality, developmental information for parents and caregivers of children prenatal to age eight right to your phone. Messages include research-based, age-appropriate content from national experts, along with local updates of events and resources.
Free resources at your library
Your local library has many resources for you as a parent as well as for your child. We encourage you to take advantage of all they have to offer. For an online list of libraries by city, go to publiclibraries.com/state
Find help in your community
Dial 2-1-1 or 1-877-502-0700 for free, confidential, 24-hour information and referral assistance. Trained 2-1-1 Specialists can connect you to local organizations that can assist you with food, housing, health care, transportation, education and more.
Use of the materials described above are done so at your own risk and any children interacting with these materials should do so only under close adult supervision.
Copyright 2019-2021 Early Childhood Alliance. Spark a Future, SparKits, and the spark logo are the registered trademarks of Early Childhood Alliance, Inc.
Any unauthorized copying, alteration, distribution, transmission, performance, display or other use of this material is prohibited.